Saudi Arabian Airlines Terms, Conditions, Passenger Advice, Notices and Liability Limitations
- The fare in this ticket is subject to change prior to commencement of travel.
- Carrier reserves the right to refuse carriage of any person who has acquired a ticket in violation of applicable laws of carrier’s tariffs, rules or regulations.
- Saudia imposes charges against passengers with reservations who fail to present themselves for the flight (“no shows”).
- For your safety and comfort, baggage carried inside the cabin must not exceed the following weights: 9 Kgs. for First and Business classes and 7 Kgs. for Guest class.
- Saudia imposes charges against tickets submitted voluntarily by passengers for reissue or refund.
- Electronic domestic tickets will only be refunded, reissued or renewed within 6 months from the date of first confirming booking.
- Electronic international tickets will only be reissued or renewed within 12 months of the original issue date.
- Saudi Arabian Airlines does not serve or permit passengers to carry or drink alcoholic beverages on its flights.
- To avoid interruption to the aircraft’s communication systems Saudi Arabian Airlines strictly prohibits the use of cellular telephones on board. Please switch off any other electronic devices during take-off and landing.
- In order to render the best services to you, please provide our agents with your telephone number at the station of arrival or return. If you have a mobile phone please provide us with the number so we can contact you via SMS if necessary.
- For safety reasons, dangerous goods as defined in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, such as those listed below, shall not be carried in or as passenger checked or carry-on baggage.
- Briefcases and security type attaché cases with installed alarm devices; or incorporative lithium batteries and / or pyrotechnic material.
- Explosives, munitions, fireworks and flares.
- Gases (flammable, non-flammable deeply refrigerated and poisonous) such as camping gas.
- Radioactive materials.
- Corrosives (such as mercury, acids, alkalis and wet cell batteries).
- Magnetized materials and miscellaneous dangerous goods.
- Oxidizing substances (such as bleaching powder and peroxides). Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances.
- Flammable liquids, such as lighter fuels, paints and thinner.
- Flammable solids, such as MATCHES and articles which are easily ignited; substances liable to spontaneous combustion; substances which on contact with water emit flammable gases.
If the passenger’s journey involves an ultimate destination or stop in a country other than the country of departure the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention may be applicable and these Conventions govern and may limit the liability of carriers for death or bodily injury and in respect of loss of or damage to baggage. Many air carriers have waived the Warsaw Convention limits for death or bodily injury. Further information may be obtained from the carrier. See also notices headed "Advice to International Passengers on limitation of Liability" and "Notice of Baggage Liability Limitations".
CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE
- As used in this contract "ticket" means this passenger ticket and baggage check, or this itinerary/receipt if applicable, in this case of an electronic ticket, of which these conditions and the notices form part, "carriage" is equivalent to "transportation", "carrier" means all air carriers that carry or undertake to carry the passengers or his baggage hereunder or perform any other services incidental to such air carriage, "electronic ticket" means the Itinerary/Receipt issued by or on behalf of carrier, the Electronic Coupons and, if applicable, a boarding document; "Warsaw Convention" means the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules relating to International Carriage by Air signed at Warsaw, 12th October 1929, or that Convention as amended at the Hague. 28th September 1955, whichever may be applicable; "Montreal Convention" means the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air signed at Montreal, 28th May 1999.
- Carriage hereunder is subject to the rules and limitations relating to liability established by either the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention unless such carriage is not "International Carriage" as defined by that Convention.
To the extent not in conflict with the foregoing carriage and other services performed by each carrier are subject to:
- Provisions contained in this ticket.
- Applicable tariffs.
- Carrier’s conditions of carriage and related regulations which are made part hereof (and are available on application at the offices of carrier), except in transportation between a place in the United States or Canada and any place outside thereof to which tariffs in force in those countries apply.
- Carrier’s name may be abbreviated in the ticket. The full name and its abbreviation being set forth in carrier’s tariffs, conditions of carriage, regulations or timetables; carrier’s address shall be the airport of departure shown opposite the first abbreviation of carrier’s name in the ticket; the agreed stopping places are those places set forth in this ticket or as shown in carrier’s timetables as scheduled stopping places on the passenger’s route; carriage to be performed hereunder by several successive carrier’s is regarded as a single operation.
- An air carrier issuing a ticket for carriage over the lines of another air carrier does so only as its Agent.
- Any exclusion or limitation of liability of carrier shall apply to and be for the benefit of agents, servants and representatives of carrier and any person whose aircraft is used by carrier for carriage and its agents, servants and representatives.
- Checked baggage will be delivered to bearer of the baggage check. In case of damage to baggage moving in international transportation complaint must be made in writing to carrier forthwith after discovery of damage and, at the latest, within seven days from receipt; in case of delay, complaint must be made within 21 days from date the baggage was delivered. See tariffs or conditions of carriage regarding non-international transportation.
- This ticket is good for carriage for one year from date of issue except as otherwise provided in this ticket, in carrier’s tariffs, conditions of carriage, or related regulations. The fare for carriage hereunder is subject to change prior to commencement of carriage. Carrier may refuse transportation if the applicable fare has not been paid.
- Carrier undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Carrier may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier assumes no responsibility for making connections.
- Passenger shall comply with Government travel requirements, present exit, entry and other required documents and arrive at airport by time fixed by carrier or, if no time is fixed, early enough to complete departure procedures.
- No agent, servant or representative of carrier has authority to alter, modify or waive and provision of this contract.
SUMMARY REGARDING THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY OF SAUDI ARABIAN AIRLINES WITH REGARD TO PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE
- This informative notice transcribes the ANNEX contained in the European Council Regulation EC Nº 2027/97, modified by Regulation EC No 889/2002, which summarizes the liability rules applied by Community air carriers as required by Community legislation and the Montreal Convention.
- Please note that this summary cannot be used as a basis for a claim for compensation, or as a basis to interpret the provisions of any applicable instrument of international or national law.
- Compensation in the case of death or injury: Saudi Arabian Airlines will be liable for passenger injury or death resulting from an accident which occurs onboard a Saudi Arabian Airlines Aircraft or during any of the operations of embarkation or disembarkation; no financial limits apply to that liability.
- Where damages have been proved Saudi Arabian Airlines will agree to the liability for passenger injury or death and will not contest claims for compensation for damages up to 100,000 SDRs (Special Drawing Rights), and up to 113, 100 SDR’s where the Montreal Convention is applicable. Above that amount, Saudi Arabian Airlines can defend itself against a claim by proving that it was not negligent or otherwise at fault.
- Advance payments: If a passenger is killed or injured, Saudi Arabian Airlines must make an advance payment, to cover immediate economic needs, within 15 days from the identification of the person entitled to compensation. In the event of death, this advance payment shall not be less than 16,000 SDRs (Special Drawing Rights).
- Passenger delays: In case of passenger delay, Saudi Arabian Airlines is liable for damage unless it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible to take such measures. The liability for passenger delay is limited to 4,694 SDRs (Special Drawing Rights).(*)
- Baggage delays: In case of baggage delay, Saudi Arabian Airlines is liable for damage unless it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible to take such measures. The liability for baggage delay is limited to 1,131 SDRs (Special Drawing Rights). (*)
- Destruction, loss or damage to baggage: Saudi Arabian Airlines is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1,131 SDRs (Special Drawing Rights). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective. In the case of unchecked baggage, the carrier is liable only if at fault.
- Higher limits for baggage: A passenger can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a special declaration at the latest at check-in and by paying a supplementary fee.
- Complaints on baggage: If the baggage is damaged, delayed, lost or destroyed, the passenger must write and complain to the air carrier as soon as possible. In the case of damage to checked baggage, the passenger must write and complain within seven days and in the case of delay within 21 days, in both cases from the date on which the baggage was placed at the passenger's disposal.
- Liability of contracting and actual carriers: If the air carrier actually performing the flight is not the same as the contracting air carrier, the passenger has the right to address a complaint or to make a claim for damages against either. If the name or code of an air carrier is indicated on the ticket, that air carrier is the contracting air carrier.
- Time limit for action: Any action in court to claim damages must be brought within two years from the date of arrival of the aircraft, or from the date on which the aircraft ought to have arrived.
- Basis for the information: The basis for the rules described above is the Montreal Convention of 28 May 1999, which is implemented in the Community by Regulation (EC) No 2027/97 (as amended by Regulation (EC) No 889/2002) and national legislation of the Member States.
- (*) This deals with an individual passenger’s right to initiate judicial proceedings with a view to obtaining compensation for any damages resulting from a delay. Evidence of such damage and the air carrier’s liability for this must be provided.
ADVICE TO INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS ON LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Passengers on a journey involving an ultimate destination or a stop in a country other than the country of origin are advised that the provisions of a treaty known as the Warsaw Convention may be applicable to the entire journey, including any portion entirely within the country of origin or destination.
For such passengers on a journey to, from or with an agreed stopping place in the United States of America, the Convention and special contracts of carriage embodied in applicable tariffs provide that the liability of certain carriers, parties to such special contracts, for death of or personal injury to passengers is limited in most cases to proven damages not to exceed US$75,000 per passenger, and that this liability up to such limit shall not depend on negligence on the part of the carrier. For such passengers travelling by a carrier not a party to such special contracts or on a journey to, from, or having an agreed stopping placed in the United States of America, liability of the carrier for death of or personal injury to passenger is limited in most cases to approximately US$10,000 or US$20,000.
The names of carriers parties to such special contracts are available at all ticket offices of such carriers and may be examined on request.
Additional protection can usually be obtained by purchasing insurance from a private company. Such insurance is not affected by any limitation of the carrier’s liability under the Warsaw Convention or such special contracts of carriage. For further information please consult your airline or insurance company representative.
NOTE: The limit of liability of US$75,000 above is inclusive of legal fees and costs except that in case of a claim brought in a state where provision is made for separate award of legal fees and costs, the limit shall be the sum of US$58,000 exclusive of legal fees and costs.
DOMESTIC CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT (Within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
- As used in this contract "ticket" means "Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check", "carriage" is equivalent to "transportation" and "carrier" means "Saudi Arabian Airlines Corporation", "damage" includes death, injury, loss or other damage of whatsoever nature arising out of or in connection with carriage or other services performed by Saudi Arabian Airlines incidental thereto.
- Carriage hereunder is subject to the conditions of this contract and or all applicable laws in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- To the extent not in conflict with the foregoing, all carriage hereunder and other services performed by Saudi Arabian Airlines are subject to (i) applicable laws, government regulations, orders and requirements, (ii) provisions herein set forth, (iii) applicable tariffs and regulations which are made a part hereof and which may be inspected at Saudi Arabian Airlines Offices.
- Unless expressly so provided, nothing herein contained shall waive any limitation of liability of Saudi Arabian Airlines existing under the applicable laws.
Subject to the foregoing:
- Saudi Arabian Airlines is not liable for damage to passenger or unchecked baggage unless such damage is caused by the negligence of Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- Saudi Arabian Airlines is not liable for any damage directly and solely arising out of its compliance with any laws, government regulations, orders or requirement or from failure of passenger to comply with the same.
- In the transportation of passengers, the liability of Saudi Arabian Airlines shall be in accordance with the effective law of Saudi Arabia.
- In the transportation of checked baggage, the liability of Saudi Arabian Airlines shall be limited to the sum of SR 1700 per passenger unless a higher valuation is declared in advance and additional charges are paid pursuant to Saudi Arabian Airlines tariffs and regulations.
- In the transportation of unchecked baggage or other property which the passenger takes charge of himself, the liability of Saudi Arabian Airlines shall be limited to the sum of SR 1485 per passenger.
- In no case shall Saudi Arabian Airlines liability exceed the actual loss offered by the passenger.
- All claims are subject to proof of amount of loss.
- Insofar as any provision contained or referred to herein may be contrary to a law, government regulation, order or requirement, which severally cannot be waived by agreement of the parties, such provisions shall remain applicable and be considered as part of the contract of carriage to the extent only that such provision is not contrary thereto. The invalidity of any provision shall not affect any other part.
- Any exclusion or limitation of liability of Saudi Arabian Airlines under these conditions shall apply to agents, employees or representatives of Saudi Arabian Airlines acting within the scope of their employment and also to any person whose aircraft is used by Saudi Arabian Airlines for carriage and its agents, employees or representatives acting within the scope of their employment.
- Check baggage carried hereunder will be delivered to the bearer upon return to Saudi Arabian Airlines of the baggage claim tag.
- When validated, this ticket is good for carriage from the airport at the place of departure to the airport at the place of destination via the route shown herein and for the applicable class of service and is valid for one Gregorian year from the date of commencement of flight except as otherwise provided in Saudi Arabian Airlines tariffs or regulations. Each flight coupon will be accepted for carriage on the date and flight for which accommodations have been reserved; when flight coupons are issued on an "open date" basis, accommodations will be reserved upon application subject to availability of space.
- Saudi Arabian Airlines undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch, but no particular time is fixed for the commencement or completion of carriage. Subject thereto, Saudi Arabian Airlines may without notice substitute aircraft and may alter or omit the stopping places shown on the face of the ticket in case of necessity. Times shown in timetables or elsewhere are approximate and not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Saudi Arabian Airlines assume no responsibilities for making connections.
- The passenger shall comply with all government travel requirements and arrive at the airport by the time fixed by Saudi Arabian Airlines or if no time fixed, sufficiently in advance of flight departure to permit completion of government formalities and departure procedures. Saudi Arabian Airlines is not liable for loss or expense due to passenger’s failure to comply with this provision.
- No agent, servant or representative of carrier has authority to alter, modify or waive and provision of this contract.
- No action shall lie in the case of damage to baggage, unless the person entitled to delivery complains to Saudi Arabian Airlines forthwith after the discovery of the damage, and at the latest within five days from the date of receipt, and in the case of delay, unless the complaint is made at the latest within five days from the date on which the baggage has been placed at his disposal. Every complaint must be made in writing and dispatched within the times aforesaid. Failure to give notice shall not be a bar to suit where claimant proves that (i) it was not reasonably possible for him to give such notice, or (ii) the management of Saudi had knowledge of damage to passenger’s baggage.
- Any right to damages against Saudi Arabian Airlines shall be extinguished unless an action is brought within one Hegira year, reckoned from the date of arrival at the destination, or from the date on which the aircraft ought to have arrived or from the date on which the carriage stopped.
NOTICE OF BAGGAGE LIABILITY LIMITATIONS
Liability for loss, delay, or damage to baggage is limited unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges are paid. For many international journeys, the Warsaw Convention may apply with liability limits of approximately US$9.07 per pound (US$20.00 per kilo) for checked baggage and US$400.00 per passenger for unchecked baggage. In some cases, where the Montreal Convention applies to your journey, the applicable liability limit is 1131 SDR (Special Drawing Rights) for checked and unchecked baggage. For travel wholly between U.S. points, federal rules require any limit on an airline’s baggage liability to be at least US$2,800 per passenger. Excess valuation may be declared on certain types of articles. Some carriers assume no liability for fragile, valuable or perishable articles. Further information may be obtained from the carrier.
NOTICE OF GOVERNMENT IMPOSED TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES
The price of this ticket may include taxes, fees and charges which are imposed on air transportation by government authorities. These taxes, fees and charges which may represent a significant portion of the cost of air travel, are either included in the fare, or shown separately in the "TAX" box(es) of this ticket. You may also be required to pay taxes, fees and charges not already collected.
DENIED BOARDING BY OVERBOOKING
Note: In those countries where Denied Boarding Compensation regulations are in force, carriers operate compensation plans for passengers with confirmed reservation who are denied boarding because of non-availability of seats caused by overbooking, details of these plans are available at the airlines’ offices.
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulations regarding Denied Boarding Compensation (DBC)
In accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) of USA and pursuant to Tarmac Delay new rules (14 CFR 259.4), the compensation amount in the event of Denied Boarding has been changed as following:
- Amount of Denied Boarding Compensation
Passengers traveling from the United States to a foreign point who are denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight originating at a U.S. airport are entitled to:
- No compensation if the carrier offers alternate transportation* that is planned to arrive at the passenger's destination or first stopover not later than one hour after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight;
- 200% of the one way fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $650, if the carrier offers alternate transportation* that is planned to arrive at the passenger's destination or first stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight;
- 400% of the one way fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $1,300, if the carrier does not offer alternate transportation* that is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's destination or first stopover less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight.
* Alternate Transportation
is air transportation with a confirmed reservation at no additional charge (by any scheduled airline licensed by DOT), or other transportation accepted and used by the passenger in the case of denied boarding.
- Method of Payment
- Except as provided below, the airline must give each passenger who qualifies for involuntary denied boarding compensation a payment by cash or check for the amount specified above, on the day and at the place the involuntary denied boarding occurs.
- If the airline arranges alternate transportation for the passenger's convenience that departs before the payment can be made, the payment shall be sent to the passenger within 24 hours
- The air carrier may offer free or discounted transportation in place of the cash payment.
- Discounted transportation before the passenger decides whether to accept the transportation in lieu of a cash or check payment. The passenger may insist on the cash/check payment or refuse all compensation and bring private legal action.
- Passenger's Options
- Acceptance of the compensation may relieve Saudi Arabian Airlines from any further liability to the passenger caused by its failure to honor the confirmed reservation.
- However, the passenger may decline the payment and seek to recover damages in a court of law or in some other manner.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR Hajj AND UMRAH TRAVELERS
In order to finalize your booking and related travel arrangements, Hajj and Umrah travelers are kindly required to contact the nearest SAUDIA office or travel agent approved by KSA Ministry of Hajj.
Passengers traveling with Hajj, Umrah and visit visa shall strictly follow the following instructions as per Saudi government instructions:
|Visit Traveler||Umrah Traveler||Hajj Traveler|
|During the HajjPeriod from 10 DhuAlqedah 1435H (5 September 2014) to 10 DhuAlhijja1435H (4 October 2014), all passengers holding Visit Visa are permitted to entry Kingdom of Saudi Arabia via all International Airports (King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, King Fahd International Airport in Dammam, King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, or Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Airport in Madinah).||
Umrah Visa Holders should enter and depart from King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Airport in Madinah or Prince Abdulmohsin Bin Abdulaziz Airport in Yanbu only without passing through other Saudi airports.
Umrah Visa Holders are NOT allowed to perform Hajj.
Hajj visa holders should enter and depart from King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Airport in Madinah only without passing through other Saudi airports.
To avoid any inconvenience at the airport, holders of Hajj visa/permit must read the fare notes and ensure that their purchased fare is valid for Hajj and has no restrictions for those visa holders, SUPERSAVER fare are not valid for Hajj visa/permit holders. SAUDIA reserves the right to charge the passenger the fare difference between his purchased fare and the Hajj fare plus the applicable change fee at the airport before boarding the flight.
It is obligatory to get a Hajj permit to perform Hajj for pilgrims coming from the GCC countries during Hajj period. Whomever performs Ihram during the flight to perform Hajj without having Hajj permit, will be returned to his/her home country according to the guidelines set by the saudi authorities.
- Further details about Hajj and Umrah can be obtained from the link to the Ministry of Hajj, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Web site:
- Saudia shall not accept any claim or complain in this regard in violation of the aforementioned policy & procedures and shall accept no legal responsibility in whatsoever nature.
NOTICE FROM INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AVIATION ORGANIZATION ABOUT INFECTIOUS DISEASES
According to International Civil Aviation Organization and to maintain the safety of the passengers, you must disclose any infectious diseases when purchasing tickets in order to maintain your health and the health of travelers.
To download Standard Medical Information Form for Air Travel (MEDIF), Please click here.
If you have any comments concerning Saudi Arabian Airlines services, please contact:
GM Customer Relations, Saudi Arabian Airlines, CC 796,
P.O. Box 620, Jeddah 21231, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Tel: +966 (0) 12 686 4588 - Fax: +966 (0) 12 686 4587 - Toll-free: 800-118-0000