EXIT ROW SEAT
- Saudia’s Emergency Evacuation Functions and Selection Criteria, below, ensures that Saudia will not seat any passenger in a seat designated as an exit row seat if it is determined that the passenger would not be able to perform any of the following emergency evacuation functions because :
a) If the person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs individually or if it is determined that the person would need the help of another person to perform the following tasks:
• To reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and its operating mechanisms.
• To grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms.
• To push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits.
• To lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row objects the size and weight of over-wing window exit doors.
• To remove obstructions similar in size and weight to over-wing exit doors
• To reach the emergency exit expeditiously.
• To maintain balance while removing obstructions.
• To exit expeditiously.
b) Or the inability to:
• Locate the emergency exit.
• Recognize the emergency exit opening mechanism.
• Comprehend the instructions, either in printed, graphic, or oral form for operating the emergency exit.
• Operate the emergency exit.
• Assess whether opening the emergency exit will increase the hazards to which passengers may be exposed.
• Follow oral directions and hand signals given by a crewmember.
• Stow or secure emergency exit doors so that it will not impede use of the exit.
c) Must be at least 15 years of age and able to perform all functions without the assistance of another adult, parent or relative.
d) The person has:
• A condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent the person from performing one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (b) of this section; or
• A condition that might cause the person harm if he or she performs one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (C) of this section.
e) If the person lacks the visual, auditory, or verbal ability to understand or communicate instructions aside from normal glasses or a hearing aid, they shall not be seated in an exit row.